Creating the Right Specification
Assess Foot Traffic
Specifying the right carpet for your facility can have a major impact on how employees and visitors perceive the facility and leaves a lasting impression. You can also realize valuable savings through reduced maintenance costs, and longer life on the floor.
To get started with your specification, first assess the traffic within your facility keeping in mind a office building has different foot traffic than a hospital and an elementary school makes different messes than an university.
Low traffic areas are likely:
- Conference rooms
Heavily trafficked areas are likely:
- Elevator lobbies and corridors
- Natural paths between furnishings
It’s also important to keep in mind your location. Specify the right carpet fiber to help deal with the elements such as rain or snow, sleet or sand.
Consider the Variables
Next, consider these attributes to select the best carpet based on the specific needs of your space:
- Color – Medium to medium-dark colors hide soil more than lighter or dark colors.
- Pattern – For more heavily trafficked areas, select heavy patterns, tweeds, and heathers
- Pile texture – Industry practice calls for 100% loop pile styles for heavy traffic.
- Yarn type – Twisted and heat set yarns have high structural integrity and perform better.
- Pile height differential – Look for a maximum carpet pile height differential of 1/32 inch for heavy traffic or 1/16 inch for moderate to heavy traffic.
- Weight – A minimum face weight of 17 ounces/yard2 is recommended for loop pile carpets.
- Density – A higher density, the ratio of face weight to pile thickness, may improve carpet performance.
Fiber Does Matter
Our hard-working fibers have been making away-from-home spaces brighter, stronger, and easier to clean for nearly 60 years.
Antron type 6,6 nylon has a tighter molecular structure than type 6 nylon. We add an innovative hollow filament shape and fluorine-free soil resistance treatment to better hide and release soil, making carpet easier to clean. In fact:
- Carpets of Antron® nylon can have 65% better soil resistance than carpets of the leading competitive nylon, making cleaning easier.
- Carpets of Antron® nylon can have 2x better texture retention than carpets of the leading competitive nylon.
- Carpets of Antron® Lumena™ nylon can have up to 10x better stain resistance than carpets of the leading competitive solution dyed nylon.
- Carpets of Antron® last 75% longer than the majority of competitive nylon.
We believe it’s what’s inside that really matters. Because the things we can’t always see help connect us to our environments, ourselves, and each other.
Consider these benefits when it comes to reinforcing core values of employee wellbeing and reducing the impact on our environment:
- Clean environment. Carpets of Antron® nylon can have 65% better soil resistance than carpets of the leading competitive nylon, making cleaning easier. And a clean workspace means you have a more productive one.
- Acoustic advantage. When it comes to designing a high-quality work environment that increases productivity and employee retention, consider carpet’s acoustic advantage. It can absorb noise and reduce ambient sounds, helping to foster learning and healing.
- Durability. Carpets of Antron® last 75% longer than the majority of competitive nylon, putting less constraint on our natural resources and less waste in landfills
- Environmentally friendly. Antron® has proactively removed Fluorine or PFASs – a chemical that’s quickly becoming of concern – from our soil resistance topical.